A Whole Family Program to Guide Discussions about Loving Relationships & Safe Environment
This once-a-year program gives parents and guardians the tools they need to help their children—from pre-school through high school—to understand and navigate the ever-changing world of relationships. It empowers families to talk about relationships, sex, and sexual abuse in an easy-to-implement, ongoing educational program that addresses critical life issues.
Children who participate in the 6th grade session of the L.I.F.E. program with their parents will:
- Realize more deeply that they are God’s creation, made in love, by love, for love.
- Understand that the two great powers of intellect and free will make them capable of loving and that developing these powers is each person’s responsibility.
- Understand the difference between three levels of motivation: “wanta,” “hafta,” and “choose to.” Realize that they are learning to act on the third level.
- Understand that puberty requires that they must begin to understand sex and sexuality.
- Learn to recognize the difference between loving sex, which is part of God’s plan, and lustful sex, which is not.
- Understand that parental rules around sexuality are intended to keep them safe and to guide them in learning to exercise personal control.
The Grade 6 Lesson Package includes the following:
- 2-page introductory letter and material tutorial
- 23-page guided lesson plan with classroom adaptation instructions and master copies of all facilitator materials
- 8-page master Activity Book for duplication
- 45-slide PowerPoint presentation for in-session guidance
- 8-page master Parent Follow-Up Packet for duplication and record keeping
- Credits and references document
- End User License Agreement
This reproducible eResource is sold with one-time, lifetime license of $1 per child in your program. Once you purchase this license, you may continue to use the materials yearly without additional cost unless your participant count grows by more than 10%. You are allowed to make copies of the materials or email them to participants in your program. You may not post our eResources to any public web site without explicit permission to do so. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for cooperating with our honor system regarding our product licenses.
|Dimensions:||8½" x 11"|
The Pastoral Center
In the hypersexualized culture created by the sexual revolution, what could be more important that giving parents and teachers the tools to talk with our children about authentic love? No virtue is more countercultural than chastity, no character strength more essential for growing in goodness and closeness to God. God bless Kieran Sawyer and Kathie Amidei for giving us a fresh resource for tackling this crucial challenge.
Dr. Kathie Amidei has served for many years as Pastoral Associate at St. Anthony on the Lake Parish in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. Before that she was the associate director for Catechesis and Child Ministry for the Archdiocese of Milwaukee and served in a number of parishes as primary teacher and director of religious education. She holds a B.S. in Education, an M.A. in Theology, and a Doctorate in Education and Leadership. A national speaker and writer, she offers many presentations and workshops for catechists and catechetical leaders in parishes and dioceses.
Kathie is a wife, mom, and grandmother. She lives with her husband, Jim, in Nashotah, WI. She enjoys being with her family, exploring how people learn, and encouraging growth in faith. Her passion is to help families engage in their journey of faith in meaningful and practical ways and to infuse parish catechetical ministry with effective and relevant programming.
She has written or contributed to:
- Forming Families: a Faith Resource on Catholic Identity (OSV, 2019)
- From Generation to Generation: A Case Study on Factors in Faith Community Impacting Faith Development, (Doctoral Dissertation, 2012)
- Generations Together: Caring, Praying, Learning, Celebrating and Serving Faithfully (Lifelong Faith Associates, 2013)
- The Journey: A Guide for Persons, Partners, and Parents (R&R Communications, 2013)
Sister Kieran Sawyer, SSND, is nationally known for her creative work in youth ministry and catechesis. She is an acclaimed author and lecturer on youth ministry and character formation, with a special focus on chastity education. Over the years she has taught religion at all grade levels in Catholic schools and in religious education programs, and has presented workshops and programs for religion teachers and youth ministers across the country and abroad. Her theological degrees are from Marquette University, St. John’s University in Collegeville, and Catholic University
Sister Kieran was the founder and director of the TYME OUT Youth Center in Stone Bank, Wisconsin, where for many years she directed retreats and character education programs for the teens and pre-teens of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. Her current ministry includes promoting family-based chastity education and abuse prevention programs and conducting training workshops for catechists, youth ministers, and L.I.F.E. facilitators. She was honored by the National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministry as a recipient of the 2006 National Youth Ministry Award.
Sister Kieran is a member of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, Central Pacific Province.
She has written and contributed to many published works, including:
- LoveEd (Saint Benedict Press, 2018.) A video-discussion series on puberty, sexuality, and pregnancy. Sister Kieran worked with author Coleen Kelly Mast to create the videos and parent-child discussion materials in this program.
- Sex and the Teenager: Choices and Decisions (Ave Maria Press, 1990, 1999, 2008), a teachers’ manual and student text on adolescent relationships and sexuality.
- Confirming Faith (Ave Maria Press, 1980, 1994) Teacher’s manual and student book designed to prepare high school students to celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- Youth Ministry Access (Center for Ministry Development, 2009 to present) Lesson plans for middle school and high school youth ministry programs.