Growing Up Catholic Baptism Preparation
A process for engaging, evangelizing, and coaching young parents • Available in print and as a reproducible eResource
We have heard from many people who are frustrated with the state of baptismal preparation. Many parents jump through the hoops, while being bored by the details of sacramental theology which seem distant from their experience. Pastoral leaders lament the parents' disinterest, and how rarely they see these parents in church again. It's time for a new approach.
Growing Up Catholic Baptism Preparation was designed to:
- Welcome parents and godparents warmly. We offer an environment in which parish ministers can meet young parents and develop a relationship with them, whether they be active Catholics, inactive Catholics, or non-Catholics.
- Engage parents by starting with where they are at. We ask about their experience of parenthood so far and help them realize how it connects to their faith.
- Evangelize parents and help them grow in their own faith. We help them understand and deepen their journey of faith, so they will be able to share it with their child in the years after baptism.
- Educate and equip parents for their role in passing on the faith. We explain what they are committing to through the baptismal process and give them "Tools for the Journey."
- Offer information in a format that works. Our two-page handouts give just the right amount of information in a format that is more likely to be read than ignored.
- Introduce parents to the ministry of the church. We introduce parents to the parish community and encourage them to become active participants.
- Help parents understand the sacrament of baptism. We give parents what they need to know to appreciate the grace it provides to them and their child.
- Do all of this in a flexible, convenient, affordable format. We allow you to make your own modifications (eResource edition), provide user-friendly leader outlines, and price this below other baptism preparation options to meet your budget.
The process works like this:
- Three options for session formats. May be offered over six hours (three two-hour sessions), two hours (a single session), or your own custom format.
- Participant handouts. Utilizes three worksheets that lead to discussions and four informational handouts.
- Leader guides. An introductory leader guide and outlines with talking points will support and empower pastoral ministers, no matter their level of experience.