For whole family and other settings • Downloadable and reproducible • Teach the faith through the lives and examples of the saints
In this series, Phyllis Vos Wezeman brings saints to life in creative ways, helping learners explore their inspiring lives through a variety of learning methods built for Multiple Intelligences. Separate guides are provided for whole family catechesis settings and general classroom use.
We know that children (and adults!) learn in many different ways, using a combination of learning styles. This resource draws on research on Multiple Intelligences and offers appropriate exercises, activities, and other lesson ides that fit each of the eight styles:
- Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence: "Body Smart"
- Interpersonal/Relational Intelligence: "People Smart"
- Intrapersonal/Introspective Intelligence: "Self Smart"
- Logical/Mathematical Intelligence: "Logic/Number/Reasoning Smart"
- Musical/Rhythmic Intelligence: "Music/Sound Smart"
- Naturalist Intelligence: "Nature Smart"
- Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence: "Word Smart"
- Visual/Spatial Intelligence: "Picture Smart"
It utilizes many methods of learning, including architecture, art, banners, creative writing, culinary arts, dance, drama, games, gesture, music, photography, puppetry, storytelling, and textiles.
The resource includes a comprehensive general leader guide with bakground on the Multiple Intelligences approach, and helpful, comprehensive resources for each activity, including material lists, references, talking points, parent instruction sheets, handouts, and more.
These exercises and activities are easily adaptable and enjoyable from children in primary grades through teens and adults, either in large or small group settings.
This volume includes eight activities each for three saints:
- “Peter Walks on Water” Rhythm Story • Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence • Storytelling
- St. Peter's Scavenger Hunt • Interpersonal Intelligence • Architecture/Games
- Guided Meditation on Jesus and Peter • Intrapersonal Intelligence • Storytelling
- Numbers Crossword Puzzle • Logical/Mathematical Intelligence • Games
- Peter's Life through Lyrics • Musical/Rhythmic Intelligence • Creative Writing/Music
- Rock Display • Naturalist Intelligence • Art/Creative/Writing/Games
- First Person Fishmonger's Wife Story • Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence • Drama/Storytelling
- Paper Mosaic Visuals • Visual/Spatial Intelligence • Art/Photography
St. Catherine of Siena
- Clay Prayer Symbols • Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence • Art
- Thank You Postcards • Interpersonal Intelligence • Art/Creative Writing
- Heart-Shaped Peace Pockets • Intrapersonal Intelligence • Art/Creative Writing
- "Truth of God's Love" Weaving • Logical/Mathematical Intelligence • Art/Banners/Textiles/Creative Writing
- "Jesu, Jesu, Fill Us with Your Love" Message • Musical/Rhythmic Intelligence • Music/Storytelling
- Building Bridges Guided Meditation • Naturalist Intelligence • Architecture/Storytelling
- First Person Biographer Story • Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence • Drama/Storytelling
- Crown of Gold/Thorns Mobile • Visual/Spatial Intelligence • Art
- Twins Relay Race • Bodily/Kinesthetic Intelligence • Games
- Prayer Prompter • Interpersonal Intelligence • Art
- Spontaneous Prayer Scrapbook • Intrapersonal Intelligence • Art/Creative Writing/Photography
- Guidelines for Life Ruler • Logical/Mathematical Intelligence • Art
- Rainstorm Rhythms • Musical/Rhythmic Intelligence • Games/Music
- Hand-Shaped Dove • Naturalist Intelligence • Art
- First Person Benedictine Monk Story • Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence • Drama/Storytelling
- Story Board Scenes • Visual/Spatial Intelligence • Art/Storytelling
This reproducible eResource is sold with a lifetime license for use within a parish, school, or diocesan office. You are allowed to make unlimited copies for use within your own community. You may also email these to members of your team or participants in your program. If you serve more than one parish or school, each should purchase its own license. You may not post our eResources to any web site without explicit permission to do so. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for cooperating with our honor system regarding our product licenses.
|Dimensions:||8½" x 11"|
The Pastoral Center
As a religious educator, PHYLLIS VOS WEZEMAN has served as Director of Christian Nurture at a downtown congregation in South Bend, Indiana; Executive Director of the Parish Resource Center of Michiana; and Program Coordinator for ecumenical as well as interfaith organizations in Indiana and Michigan.
In academics, Phyllis has been Adjunct Faculty in the Education Department at Indiana University South Bend and in the Department of Theology at the University of Notre Dame. She is an "Honorary Professor" of the Saint Petersburg (Russia) State University of Pedagogical Art where she has taught methods courses for extended periods on several occasions. She has also been guest lecturer at the Shanghai Teachers College in China.
As founder of the not-for-profit Malawi Matters, Inc., she develops and directs HIV & AIDS Education programs with thousands of volunteers in 200 villages and more than 1,500 schools in Malawi, Africa including “Creative Methods of HIV & AIDS Education,” “Culture & HIV-AIDS,” and “Equipping Women/ Empowering Girls.”
Author or co-author of over 2,000 articles and books, she has written for over 80 publishers.
Phyllis served as President of Active Learning Associates, Inc.; a consultant or board member to numerous local and national organizations such as the American Bible Society, Church World Service, LOGOS, and the Peace Child Foundation; leader of a six- week youth exchange program to Russia and Ukraine; and Project Director for four Lilley Worship Renewal grants. She is the recipient of three “Distinguished Alumni Awards," the Aggiornamento Award from the Catholic Library Association, and the 2021 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Association of Presbyterian Church Educators (APCE).
Wezeman holds undergraduate degrees in Business, Communications, and General Studies from various institutions and an MS in Education from Indiana University South Bend.
Phyllis and her husband Ken (who met when they were in second and third grade in elementary school) have three children and their spouses, Stephanie (Jeff), David, and Paul (Deha); five grandchildren, Quin, Ayle, Lief, Ashley, and Jacob; and two great-grandsons, Maddox and Troy.
ANNA LIECHTY taught English to high school students and served as adjunct faculty for Indiana University South Bend for many years. Anna also worked as a mentor trainer and teacher coach with adult learners for the Indiana Department of Education. She won numerous educational classroom grants, including the Eli Lilly Teacher Creativity grant.
As a life-long church educator, Anna worked with all age levels, directing Sunday morning and youth programming, consulting with congregations about their educational ministry, and writing a wide variety of religious education materials. She served as Vice President of Active Learning Associates and co-authored four Lilly Worship Renewal grants.
Anna’s undergraduate degree is from Bowling Green State University in Ohio and her Master’s degree from Indiana University South Bend. She was certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in Adolescent and Young Adult English Language Arts.
In retirement, Anna continues to pursue a variety of writing projects, receiving an Individual Artist Grant in Literature from the Indiana Arts Commission. Now living in Florida, Anna enjoys traveling with her husband Page Foster, a retired pastor, and counting the days between visits with six children, twelve grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.