The LearningCycles series offers a creative approach to faith formation based on different learning styles, appropriate for K-5th graders. Each LearningCycles unit generally includes seven workshops: Art, Story & Games, Drama & Activity, Music, Kitchen, Movie, and Publishing. This series works well for whole family/intergenerational catechesis and is a great basis for grandparent camps or other vacation bible schools.
Moses is one of the most well-known characters in the Old Testament, and his story provides a rich background from which to learn. This cycle is filled with information and activities covering much of Moses’ life – from the baby in the bulrushes to the young man who encountered the burning bush and then went to go deliver God’s message to Pharaoh.
Children will learn about God calling Moses and discuss what it means to be called by God. They will also learn about the plagues, the Passover, the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, and the Ten Commandments. This LearningCycle also offers a good opportunity to discuss the relationships between Judaism and Christianity.
- Art Workshop – Talk about the Ten Commandments and make a mosaic tablet to take home as a reminder.
- Publishing Workshop – Write a journal entry from the perspective of Moses as a way to reflect on events in the life of Moses and think about what it might have been like to be in his position.
- Drama Workshop – Act out parts of Moses’ story (especially the Burning Bush and the Exodus) using puppets and other props.
- Movie Workshop – Watch parts of a movie, Prince of Egypt, that tells the life of Moses with wonderful animation and energetic songs (or other dramatizations). (Supporting DVDs can be found for sale here.)
- Story Workshop – Learn about the ten plagues that happened in Egypt each time that the Pharaoh refused to allow the Israelites to leave.
- Kitchen Workshop – Hear the story of Passover, remember the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, and experience a modified Passover Seder.
- Music Workshop – Sing songs about Moses and the Exodus, using scarves to help dramatize them. Also create a “follower the leader” game as a way to think about Moses and his leadership.
This reproducible eResource is sold with a lifetime license for use within a parish, school, or diocesan office. You are allowed to make unlimited copies for use within your own community. You may also email these to members of your team or participants in your program. If you serve more than one parish or school, each should purchase its own license. You may not post our eResources to any web site without explicit permission to do so. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for cooperating with our honor system regarding our product licenses.
|Dimensions:||8½" x 11"|
The Pastoral Center / LeaderResources