Exploring tough questions facing youth today• Also available in print (with eResource)
OPEN THE BIBLE • Help youth apply the Bible to real life and discuss their faith. This all-in-one curriculum guides youth and their leaders on a journey for meaning and identity. In Real Life encourages youth to ask the hard questions, and helps them encounter Scripture in search of answers. In a time of violence, injustice, materialism, and new pressures, this series offers a different point of view. Compatible with a whole family approach.
Also available in print (with eResource)
Is the Bible friend or foe to the peacemaker?
The Bible challenges us to be reconciled to one another and work for justice. So what do we do with the stories that seem to condone violence or even encourage it? How do we reconcile a “warrior” God with the God of love embodied in Jesus? In a world filled with violence, is following Jesus’ Way of nonviolent confrontation realistic? This unit leads you and your group to grapple with these tough questions, with the help of new insight and information about stories of “violence.” (6 sessions, plus extender session)
- All the King's Horses • Lead participants to begin to reconcile two contrasting images of God: a “warrior” God and the God of love embodied in Jesus.
- Military Build-down • Help participants understand the function of holy wars in the ancient scriptures—to build and/or test trust in God.
- A Room with a View • Help participants formulate a response when violence is done to innocent people.
- Cleaning House • Help participants clarify the difference between forceful prophetic actions and violent ones.
- When You Want to Hit Back • Help participants formulate a nonviolent response when angry, even if violence seems justified.
- Land for Sale • Encourage participants to live fully in the world, acting on its behalf, in spite of the often-discouraging threat of violence.
- Gandi / Dead Man Walking (Extender Session option) • Give participants a concrete example of the success of nonviolent action for change.
This reproducible eResource is sold with a lifetime license for use within a parish, school, or diocesan office. You are allowed to make unlimited copies for use within your own community. You may also email these to members of your team or participants in your program. If you serve more than one parish or school, each should purchase its own license. You may not post our eResources to any web site without explicit permission to do so. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for cooperating with our honor system regarding our product licenses.
|Dimensions:||8½" x 11"|
The Pastoral Center