Saint Mary’s Press, in collaboration with The National Black Catholic Congress, Inc., is proud to present The African American Catholic Youth Bible®, the first Catholic Bible for youth designed especially from the African American perspective. This Bible speaks directly to African American youth through inspirational black art and commentaries on biblical events and personalities from an African American perspective. It chronicles major events in African American Catholic history and includes moving stories of African American holy men and women.
The African American Catholic Youth Bible® uses the text of the New American Bible, revised edition, and is modeled after the bestselling Catholic Youth Bible®, beloved by nearly two million Catholic young people.
This Bible offers many special features:
- Know Your Faith articles that explain the biblical, liturgical, and doctrinal basis for many Christian beliefs and practices
- Black, Catholic, and Faithful articles that present African American culture and introduce some Africans and African Americans who have lived out aspects of God’s Revelation in the Bible
- Check This Out articles that provide background for understanding the culture and traditions of biblical times and the Church’s interpretation of certain passages
- Be About It! articles that apply the Bible’s message to situations African American youth may be facing now or will face in the future
- Take It to God articles that suggest ways to use the Bible for personal prayer
- Our Friends in Faith articles that give a quick introduction to the lives of important biblical people
- Helpful indexes to passages about events, people, teachings of Jesus, and life and faith issues, as well as an index that leads to articles on specific topics
- A calendar of the Church year and Sunday readings
- Color inserts that provide a brief history of African American Catholics, beautifully illustrated maps, photos by theme, Catholic prayers and teachings, and a time line of biblical history
- A glossary of Scripture-related terms
“The African American Catholic Youth Bible is an invaluable resource to evangelize youth and adults of all backgrounds. This Bible is not just for the Black community. It can educate all people of faith of the gifts and contributions of Black people throughout the history of faith.”
—Dr. Ansel Augustine, Contributor, The African American Catholic Youth Bible®, Archdiocese of New Orleans
|Dimensions:||6.25" x 9.25"|
Saint Mary's Press
|1-2 copies||$8.96 each|
|3-5 copies||$8.46 each|
|6+ copies||$7.96 each|
The portraits of a dark-skinned Jesus, the reflective blurbs refined urban vernacular, and the historical references to Africa in the scriptures are just some of the things that set the new African American Catholic Youth Bible apart. The recently released publication offers something for even those beyond its targeted 14- to 24-year-old Black audience. Gloria Purvis, one of the book’s copy editors, insists that this is a reference Bible that should be in every church library or on the shelf of anyone interested in African-American history and culture. View the full article on phillytrib.com
Some youth in Felicia Charles’ Sunday school class find learning the faith boring. Others tell her they’ve never opened a Bible, she said.“Some of them are just resistant to Catholic education in general. You’re dealing with that, too,” 24-year-old Charles said of the challenges she faces with her seventh- and eighth-grade catechism class at St. Ignatius Loyola Church.It’s not that they can’t learn, said Charles, but that youth need help connecting faith and the Bible with their daily lives.She plans to introduce to her class the new African American Catholic Youth Bible, a translation of the New American Bible Revised Edition that includes commentaries, art and study aids to help educate and evangelize youth about Scripture.Special sections make Mary, Biblical figures and events relatable through art and maps. Throughout the Old and New Testaments are sections that share stories of African Americans who are important figures in the Catholic Church, tips on applying passages to daily life, suggested prayers and the basics of the Catholic faith.View the full article on denvercatholic.org.
In January Saint Mary’s Press will publish The African American Catholic Youth Bible®, the first Bible designed specifically for use by young black Catholics in the US. It has taken five years for the initial concept to become a reality. View the full article on nbccongress.org
Our faith calls us to see Christ in others—not always an easy task. But seeing ourselves as made in Christ’s image can also be a challenge. Some young Catholics may find help in a newly released Bible. The African-American Youth Bible depicts Jesus as an African-American man and offers commentary and artwork that are meant to put Scripture into relevant context for young black Catholics. The project, developed over four years, was spearheaded by Bishop John H. Ricard of the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee, Fla., president of the National Black Catholic Congress, and St. Mary’s Press, which published the Bible. “In the Bible, it speaks of slavery and it seeks to explain more fully what it means to the history of African-Americans in the United States,” Bishop Ricard told Catholic News Service. View the full article on americamagazine.org.