A process for engaging, evangelizing, and coaching young parents • Available in print and as a reproducible eResource
Learn more about this process here.
Keep in touch with your parents after baptism...
Coach them and welcome them back!
While most children are no longer physically plunged into the water, the Church teaches that by baptism we are plunged into the paschal mystery of Christ: dying with him, being buried with him, and rising with him (Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, #6). And becoming parents is a similar plunge: jumping feet-first into a new experience of dying to ourselves in self-giving love for another human being. This resource is a little tool to help with what comes next.
This resource was designed with the following goals and principles:
- Maintain a connection between the parish and young parents during the first three to five years after baptism, a time when we often lose touch with families.
- Coach parents to build households of faith and incorporate faith practices into the family routine.
- Encourage parents to foster their own faith life and maintain healthy balances.
- Offer information in a compact format that busy parents are likely to actually read.
- Speak with friendly, accessible language that will not turn off outsiders.
- Invite parents to Mass and other events in the parish.
- Offer a tool that is simple and easy for you as a parish leader.
This kit includes editable letter templates (in Word) and tri-fold leaflets (in PDF) to send out quarterly to your young families:
- Introductory letter and leaflet to be sent soon after initial signup. The leaflet is titled "Building a Household of Faith," with tips for setting a foundation, caring for oneself, and building simple rituals within the home.
- Advent/Christmas: "Getting Started with an Advent Wreath," encouraging a great home tradition that even very young children can appreciate.
- Lent/Easter: "Simple Ideas for Lent at Home" and a bonus insert ("Celebrating Easter: Ideas for Busy Parents").
- Summer: "Exercising your Spirit in Summer," about trying some new faith practices at home
- Autumn: "Tips for Bringing Your Little One to Church," with encouragement for them to return to Sunday liturgy if they aren't doing so currently.
This reproducible eResource is sold with a lifetime license for use within a parish, school, or diocesan office. You are allowed to make unlimited copies for use within your own community. You may also email these to members of your team or participants in your program. If you serve more than one parish or school, each should purchase its own license. You may not post our eResources to any web site without explicit permission to do so. Please contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for cooperating with our honor system regarding our product licenses.
|Dimensions:||8½" x 11"|
The Pastoral Center